What is Microneedling?
Microneedling, also known as Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), is a special regenerating treatment that safely penetrates deep into the underlying layers of skin, repairing and rejuvenating troubled areas. Based on acupuncture, and using multiple needles that differ in size, skin needling kick starts the body’s natural wound healing response underneath the skin. This results in the production and distribution of new collagen to help protect your skin. The procedure has been performed for many years, and has been proven to treat a number of skin conditions and problems including smoothing wrinkles and lines and improving skin texture, scarring, and stretch marks. The face is a common area for treatment; however, other areas of the body such as the hands, neck, back and chest can be treated just as successfully.
How Does Microneedling Work?
Microneedling is a safe, tested and reliable procedure that involves creating rejuvenating microscopic punctures in the skin using a specialised stainless steel roller or pressing mechanism. The process involves multiple needles in various sizes acting together in the specific area of the treated condition. This dermal roller treatment creates tiny punctures in the skin that encourage the production of new collagen, known as collagen induction, and will progressively fill in the scar, stretch mark, or wrinkles being treated, making them less noticeable and in some cases removing them altogether. Each patient’s situation is different and results can vary.
Other skin rejuvenating techniques utilise methods that can often remove the healthy top layer of skin. Microneedling creates dermal stimulation without attacking the outer layer, maximising the outward appearance of the area and speeding up the healing process at a much faster rate than other procedures. The procedure is proven to offer many benefits and also avoids some of the usual skin care related worries that other procedures can possess, such as the risk of permanent structural damage, increased sun sensitivity, skin colour loss and hyper pigmentation.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What can it treat?
The procedure is ideal for treating a variety of skin concerns including:
- Acne Scarring
- WrinklesUneven tone
The face is the most common area for skin treatments, but other areas of the body can benefit from skin needling just as effectively, including the hands, neck, back and chest. This makes it an excellent treatment for:
- Stretch Marks
- Loss of elasticity
- Does it hurt?
Before commencing, your technician will apply a topical anaesthetic cream to the area being treated. This will minimise skin sensitivity throughout the procedure, and the only sensation you should feel is some light pressure during the actual skin needling process.
- Are there any side effects?
Post-treatment, you will experience mild to moderate redness, swelling and sensitivity that can last between twelve to forty-eight hours. Some patients have experienced light bruising that can last for roughly two to three days, however this is normal due to the increased pressure applied. After a few days, the area will start to feel dry and tight, but this is a normal occurrence as your skin begins to heal and produce new collagen.
- When will I start to see improvement?
Visible Microneedling results will usually require multiple sessions. Improvement in skin tone and texture will start to show within six to eight weeks and will continue to improve drastically in the following months, depending on what has been treated. After a series of procedures, a significant improvement will be noticeable, including smoother skin, improved skin tone, reduction of scars and pitting, improved texture of stretch marks, and a reduction in fine lines. Silk Medspa recommend anywhere between four to eight treatments as a general guideline, however, certain deeper skin problems may require additional sessions. Consult with us to formulate the best plan of action.
- It’s essential to use an SPF30+ sunscreen every day and avoid sun exposure or any other form of tanning prior to treatment
- Avoid sun exposure or any other form of tanning and use an SPF30+ sunscreen every day.
- Soothe your skin by using the specialised post-care products recommended until the area has settled completely.
- Do not use any hash cleansing agents such as soap or foaming cleansers.Do not use any products containing any active ingredients or exfoliants for at least four days after treatment. This includes: AHA’s (Glycolic and Lactic Acids) BHA’s (Salicylic Acid, Vitamin C, Benzoyl Peroxide, Vitamin A, and Retinol).
- Avoid any highly perfumed products or cosmetics for at least four days.
- We also advise that patients refrain from performing the following activities until at least 48 hours after skin needling treatment:Excessive gym or cardiovascular exerciseSauna or pool sessions in chlorinated waterSolariums
Spray or self-tanning
Shaving (12-24 hours)