Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
- Pain Free
- Quick and Easy Service Time
- Ethnic Skin Safe
- Never Shave or Wax Again
- Smooth, Flawless Skin
- Gets Rid of Ingrown Hairs
- Helps To Heal Damaged Follicle
SILK MedSpa offers Painless Laser Hair Removal, a safe, fast and effective solution for getting rid of unwanted hair. At SILK MedSpa, we use state-of-the-art laser systems designed to remove hair with less discomfort.
Laser Hair Removal involves bursts of intense light energy that helps remove unwanted hair and inhibits it from regrowing again. Laser Hair Removal has been around now for quite some time, and has greatly evolved with advancements in laser technologies. Laser Hair Removal in the past has been quite painful, took hours to treat your full body and wasn’t as effective as today. SILK MedSpa offers the most advanced up-to date technology using SHR IPL “super hair removal” “intense pulse light” that is virtually painless. You now can even come in on your lunch break and treat your legs, underarms and bikini in less than 30 minutes. With it’s chilled tip, and super fast speed we effectively and efficiently treat all skin types and cover large areas.
Laser hair removal is one of today’s most popular and common cosmetic treatments for both men and women. At SILK MedSpa, we can help you to get rid of that unwanted hair. Imagine; No more discomfort and mess of shaving, tweezing, waxing or using those harsh chemicals to remove unwanted hair. Experience the world free of unwanted hair with our laser hair removal services for our patients living in Toronto and surrounding areas.
The principle of lasers is based on light absorption. In the same way that a black car will become hotter than a white car because it is absorbing more of the suns rays, darker hair will absorb certain wavelengths more effectively than lighter (white, blonde, grey) hair. This process is called photothermolysis. In laser hair removal the laser energy is absorbed by the pigment (melanin) in the hair and transmitted down the hair shaft, disrupting the hair growth mechanism when it reaches the root. The light energy is transformed to heat energy and the hair follicle is heated to a critical temperature at which point it is cauterised. The laser disrupts hairs that are principally in the active growth (anagen) phase at the time of treatment. The laser is pulsed, or switched on, for a fraction of a second. The length of each pulse is just long enough for the hair follicle to be disrupted. Not every hair is in this phase at any one time on the body which is why you will need multiple treatments. This is referred to as the ‘resting phase’ or telogen. The lasers each have a specially designed cooling system to help protect the skin. Patient selection is a key aspect of laser treatment. Hair colour and skin type are the two most important factors. Temporary hair loss almost always occurs but for long term hair loss, the colour of hair is a significant factor. Black or brown hair indicates a high concentration of melanin in the follicle and is ideal for laser treatment. Blonde, white, grey and red hair is treated less.
What To Expect
The length of a laser session may be a few minutes up to an hour, depending upon the size of the area being treated. A course of treatments is required for optimal results. An average course of treatment is usually six to ten sessions, however this all depends upon a number of factors and the hairs ability to absorb the laser light. Also, hair grows in three different phases and treatment tends to be more successful in the anagen phase of the hair cycle. The appearance of the treated area immediately after a session does vary from one person to another. The after effects are usually minor and may include some redness, this is completely normal and generally settles wihtin 48hrs. At the end of the treatment you are able to return immediately to normal activity.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many treatments will I need?
Hair grows in cycles so no laser can offer permanent removal in just one session. Medical Grade Laser Hair Removal treatments are performed every 6 to 10 weeks for the body and every 4 to 6 weeks for the face and may provide 90% permanent hair removal in 4 to 8 treatments, as a minimum requirement is 8 to12 treatments. Please be aware that factors such as hormones, certain medications and genetics can cause long term hair growth so while the hair may not permanently be removed, hair is greatly reduced but maintenance treatments may be required.
- Is Laser Hair Removal safe?
Laser Hair Removal is a safe, effective, and commonly used treatment, providing optimal results in the removal of unwanted hair in all areas. Our experienced technicians are all laser safety certified and qualified to work with laser machines. This ensures that we always provide a safe and customised experience based on treatment requirements. . All our lasers feature a patented cooling device that ensures increased comfort during treatment, even on sensitive areas.
- Is Laser Hair Removal Permanent?
The FDA has cleared lasers for permanent reduction of unwanted hair and the results are excellent. Four to eight treatments will give an approximate 90% reduction in most patients for non-hormonal areas of the body. Though no one can guarantee complete and permanent removal of unwanted hair, we can assure you that laser hair removal is the most advanced and effective procedure today and patients are extremely content with the results.
- Will it Hurt?
Our technology is virtually pain free so no numbing creams required, so there’s nothing to worry about. Of course, there’s the issue of pain tolerance with Laser Hair Removal but our technology is pain free. Most of our clients describe the sensation as a warm heat sensation on your skin. SILK Medspa is one of the few leading Medspa to offer this Painless laser hair removal technology.
- Can Laser Hair Removal be used on the face?
Laser Hair Removal is not just restricted to the body and can safely and effectively target unwanted facial hair for a more permanent solution. Common areas include the upper lip, chin, cheeks, hairline and between the eyebrows. We can also treat men’s facial hair and unwanted growth on the ears and excessive nasal hair.
- Can Laser Hair Removal prevent and remove ingrown hairs?
Ingrown hairs are a reality with shaving, depilatory creams, and waxing as the new hair growth comes through, the hair can often become stuck creating inflamed, bumpy ingrowns. As laser destroys the follicle, not only are existing ingrown hairs damaged and removed, future occurrences are entirely prevented. Laser Hair Removal can provide targeted relief and treatment to ingrowns even for male facial hair.
- SHR IPL Laser Hair Removal Technology
The system’s SHR IPL technology and IN- Motion protocol safely and gently heats the targeted area. SHR’s pulses of energy gradually heat the follicles in the skin’s sub dermal layer. An additional cooling mechanism further ensures the surface of your skin stays cool and comfortable throughout your treatment. Most people find the SHR IPL Hair Removal comfortable. While pain tolerance is subjective, many patients describe it as soothing and like a, “Hot stone massage.” Most conventional laser hair removal technologies utilize massive amounts of heat to destroy hair follicles and ensure permanent reduction. The pain-free SHR hair removal, on the other hand, is a unique technology that delivers low heat levels at a fast delivery. By utilizing low heat, SHR IPL decreases the pain and minimizes the risk of side effects. This is why no numbing cream is necessary. You’ve heard horror stories about burns, blistering and scaring? The SHR IPL removal treatment can make them a thing of the past! Best of all, the high speed of SHR IN- Motion delivery creates a short treatment; 5 to 15 minutes on a small body part and 20 to 30 minutes on the average man’s back.
- Are there any factors that effect hair growth?
As laser hair removal permanently treats existing hair growth, no laser can prevent the creation of future growth stimulated by genetics, age, medication or imbalanced hormones. A common form of imbalance is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which can affect up to 7% of women. Ongoing maintenance treatments may be required to treat such conditions. As a part of Silk MedSpa Clinics’ ongoing support of the medical research and treatment of PCOS, we provide a discount for eligible clients.
- Avoid sun exposure for at least four weeks after treatment and use sun block SPF30 or greater. It is highly recommended to avoid any sun exposure, fake tanning or solariums between treatments.
- Redness and slight swelling is common for a couple of hours to a couple of days after treatment. This is a natural response and there is no need for concern. Regular application of a soothing gel or ice pack will dramatically improve recovery time.
- It is recommended to keep cool prior to and after treatment. Avoid exercise, saunas and swimming in pools or spas, scented lotions, loofahs, exfoliants or AHA’s immediately prior to and post laser hair removal as these activities can irritate the skin and increase the incidence of treatment reactions.
- For a period of up to 2 to 3 weeks (or 7 to 10 days for the face) the hairs in the treated area may have the appearance of stubble. This is not new hair growth but rather the remnants of the treated hair being expelled from the damaged follicle. Allow the hair to fall out naturally however if you want to assist the shedding of hair you can do so by gently rubbing with a warm washcloth.
- You are able to shave any unwanted hair in-between treatments but avoid waxing, plucking, threading or bleaching the area. This will remove the hair from the follicle or bleach it making it impossible to treat until the hair grows back.
- During a course of laser hair removal sessions is to avoid any kind of sun exposure, use of self-tanners (including spray tans) or use of solariums. This can greatly effect laser treatment as laser is attracted to dark pigment and is unable to decipher between the pigment in dark hair or tanned/darker skin. To reduce any risk of skin burning or pigmenting due to incorrect preparation, your clinician must be aware if you have had recent UV exposure or are wearing fake tan. An SPF30 or greater sunscreen must be used daily and frequently to protect the treated area throughout the course of treatments.
- As waxing, plucking and threading temporarily remove the hair from the follicle before it grows back, it is imperative to not pursue such methods for a minimum of 4 weeks prior to laser hair removal in the treatment area. If there is no hair in the follicle at the time of treatment, then the laser is unable to successfully target and destroy growth. The use of shaving or depilatory creams on the treatment area is not a problem as they do not remove the hair from the follicle.
- It is recommended only to remove surface hair by shaving, depilatory creams, or clipping the treated areas during the course of treatment.
- Shave the area to be treated 24 hours prior to your treatment; this will promote a stronger current in the laser which will mean better results.
- Avoid partaking in any activities prior to coming in for treatment that will make you hot and sweaty. I.e. going to the gym, spas or saunas.