Benefits of the Photo Rejuvenation
- Minimizes redness from broken capillaries and rosacea.
- Lightens Pigmented Lesions, Melasma, and Sun Damage.
- Stimulates Collagen and Elastin Regeneration.
- No Down Time.
- Quick and Easy Service Time
Photo Rejuvenation refers to the non-invasive laser light-based technology that treats sun damage, hyper pigmentation, vascular imperfections and Rosacea. It has FDA clearance and can deliver excellent results without requiring any downtime. Do you have Rosacea? It is cosmetic condition characterized by facial erythema or redness of the skin, this can be treated with the non-invasive laser light procedure called Photo Rejuvenation. Let our skin experts at SILK Medspa customize an IPL Photo Rejuvenation in our clinics to help you rejuvenate your skin.
Even if you don’t have Rosacea, you can also undergo this procedure to get rid of facial imperfections brought about by sun damage and hyperpigmentation. Photo Rejuvenation is a quick and hassle-free way to treat rosacea, and get rid of textural irregularities and discoloration that add years to your skin. It only takes about 15 minutes and doesn’t require any downtime. To get optimal results, it’s recommended to come back regularly for touch-up treatments.
What is Photo Rejuvenation?
Photo Rejuvenation is a non-invasive treatment performed with medical-grade Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) technology. It is designed to target certain skin conditions, including pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles, sun damaged skin, broken capillaries, redness, and rosacea.
The process works by using accurately targeted light energy to safely treat abnormal blood vessels or pigmentation. This stimulates the body’s natural healing process to assist in healing the condition, while also promoting the natural production of collagen, which leaves skin smoother and more evenly toned. Treatments have proven to generate substantial visible improvements in the skin without any recovery downtime.
Similar to laser hair removal, the machine used to perform Photo Rejuvenation is attracted to dark pigments and cannot be performed on tanned skins that have had recent exposure to the sun or are affected by spray or self-tanning.
About the Treatment
Every time you look in the mirror, does your skin look older and a little more tired? Is the effect of the sun taking its toll? Most of us, at one point or another, have thought of possibly putting a stop to, or at least slowing down the ageing process and its effect upon our skin. But how can we do that? Silk Medspa answers this question with our non-invasive solution.
We all contend with the natural ageing process on a daily basis, but harsh environmental factors also impact upon our skin. Until recently, most skin rejuvenation treatments involved a lengthy, inconvenient recovery period and surgery. IPL Photo Rejuvenation is a new sophisticated – yet simple – aesthetic procedure that doesn’t require surgery.
This revolutionary new method involves a series of beams of light being pulsed onto the facial area. This improves the signs of photo-aging and rosacea while reducing fine lines, wrinkles, enlarged pores, telangiectasia and irregular pigmentation – resulting in dramatically younger and more beautiful skin. The benefits are consistent, with visible improvement in the skin, and, importantly, minimal discomfort.
When following our Photo Rejuvenation guidelines, patients experience consistent, visible and long-lasting improvement to the skin. IPL Photo rejuvenation has a great appeal because of the dramatic visual improvement to the skin, the simple nature of the treatment and, most importantly, the complete absence of recovery time. Patients are able to return immediately to normal activity.
Which Symptoms Can be Treated Effectively With Photo Rejuvenation?
Erythema: Particularly erythema cases of the face, neck or chest. Patients can expect an average of 50-75% reduction in facial erythema after five sessions. Benefits have also continued for up to twelve months.
Flushing: Until recently, there has been no effective solution for facial, neck or chest flushing. Photo rejuvenation is extremely effective in reducing the degree of flushing in all patients treated. Most patients report a 75% (or greater) reduction in flushing.
Rosacea: Patients with active inflammatory rosacea generally experience a considerable improvement in their symptoms after a number of Photo Rejuvenation sessions. Most patients are able to decrease or discontinue treatments for rosacea. Although symptoms of rosacea may re-occur, most patients report a 60% (or greater) improvement.
Photo-aging and sun damage: Skin that displays fine wrinkling, freckling or irregular pigmentation from chronic sun exposure is visibly improved after a series of sessions. Fine wrinkles have generally shown an average improvement of 15-25% (or greater) after five facial rejuvenation sessions.
Pigmentation Problems: These include brown age spots, melismas that are coarse,and rough appearing skin with large pores. Patients with this skin type generally experience smoother, softer skin with a visible reduction in pores after treatments. Pore size improves an average of 50% (or greater).
Non Facial Sun damage: Chest, dorsal, hand, forearm and legs can all be safely rejuvenated using the Photo Rejuvenation procedure.
Acne Scarring: IPL Photo Rejuvenation is effective in reducing the erythema and post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation of acne scarring.
- Photo-rejuvenation offers several advantages over other skin rejuvenation modalities such as chemical peeling.
- The only truly effective treatment for facial, neck and chest erythema, telangiectasia and flushing.
- One of the main advantages with photo-rejuvenation treatments is that there are substantial visible improvements seen in the skin with no downtime.
- Safe with a minimal risk of scarring or adverse effects.
- Treatments are quick and easy for patients and, generally speaking, no anaesthesia is required.
- The whole face can be treated with laser photo rejuvenation for most patients within ten to twenty minutes.
- Millions of Australians with skin changes of rosacea and/or photo-aging can benefit immensely from treatments.
- The energy delivered in photo-rejuvenation is in the form of pulses of light. The wavelength of the laser is within the visible spectrum of light, so there is minimal risk of ocular injury and a higher level of patient safety.
- Photo-rejuvenation treatments can be safely used on non-facial skin. This permits effective treatment of neck and chest erythema, and photo-aging of the neck, chest, forearms, shoulders and legs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does it work?
Carried out in our skin rejuvenation clinic, the procedure uses advanced Intense Pulsed Light(IPL) technology to deliver controlled light directly to the skin, targeting areas that contain excess melanin (age spots, freckles and pigmentation). The light is then absorbed by the skin, in particular the pigmented areas of the skin. This light then converts to heat, which damages the targeted cells whilst leaving the surrounding skin unaffected. Once the light is absorbed into the pigment, the body begins to naturally break this down and eliminate it, revealing fresh, rejuvenated skin that is clearer and more even in tone and texture. You’ll also notice that pigmented areas such as freckles and age spots appear much lighter, and after a few more treatments will continue to fade and eventually disappear.
Photo rejuvenation can also be used to heat up the dermis and stimulate collagen production, improving skin texture, firmness, pore size and fine lines, and increasing cellular turnover.
- How many treatments are needed and how long do they take?
For the best possible results, we recommend three to six treatments, but more may be required depending on the depth of pigmentation and damage on the skin, and then maintenance every 3-4 months.
Improvement may be visible after the first session. Optimal results will be achieved with commitment to sunscreen use and avoidance of future sun exposure.
Your next session may be performed after four weeks, as long as healing from your previous session is complete.
The average session takes approximately minute 20 minutes, but can vary depending on the area being treated.
- Am I suitable for treatment?
Patients with fairer skin tones will achieve the most successful results. Those with darker skin tones will need to be treated on lower fluency levels and will require additional sessions. Patients who have had exposure to sunlight/solarium or fake tan will need to wait until their colour has completely faded before commencing treatment.
Photo rejuvenation can also treat areas such as the hands, chest, and back.
- What is intense pulsed light (IPL)?
Intense pulsed light therapy was invented by Dr. Patrick Bitters Jr. The IPLT photofacial skin procedure involves the use of an intense beam of broad-spectrum light (as opposed to lasers, which operate within a very specific wavelength) that targets the dermis, the lower layer of the skin. The procedure simultaneously removes damaged and photoaged skin while stimulating collagen growth.
- Are there any side effects?
After a Photo Rejuvenation procedure, the area treated will experience redness, slight swelling and a mild burning sensation. This is completely normal, especially after your first session.
Other side effects may include:
- Superficial crusting – This is a positive effect and expected, as this is the body’s way of eliminating pigmentation.
- Undesirable pigmentation changes, including skin becoming darker or lighter – influenced by sun exposure and skin types.
- Cold sores may be activated.
- Blistering may occur.
- What happens afterwards?
When treating pigmented areas such as freckles and sun spots, the area will darken and generally fall off within seven to twenty-eight days (depending on the area of the body), or it will gradually fade.
Concerns such as Broken Capillaries and Rosacea will lighten and eventually fade, and in some capillary cases they will collapse completely.
Because Photo Rejuvenation encourages collagen production which provides hydration, fine lines and wrinkles will take on a softer and smoother appearance, creating a more youthful, fresh appearance.
- It’s important to avoid sun exposure or any other form of tanning including solarium and fake tan one month prior to treatment and use an SPF30+ sunscreen every day.
- Commence your specialised skin care program two weeks prior to treatment.
- Apply a soothing gel product or ice pack to alleviate discomfort if needed.
- Only use gentle skin care products that don’t contain any perfume or alcohol combined with cool water.
- Apply your recommended moisturiser after washing the area.
- Do not use any products that contain any exfoliants for three to five days after treatment.
- Do not wax the area for at least three days or until settledMake sure to keep the treated area out of the sun and to wear SPF30+ sunscreen at all times, if you are planning to be in the sun make sure the area is protected by clothing or a wide brimmed hat.
- Avoid any activities that are likely to make you perspire for at least 24 hours.